An Alternate Account (also known as an Alt) is an extra account owned by a user that already owns an account.
Reasons for owning an ALT
There are several reasons why a user may create an alternate account, including:
- Name sniping (see below)
- Extra account if main is banned
- To hold another place if the player cannot afford BC, one famous example are the "Wingmen"
- To play ROBLOX without being followed by other users and possibly be interviewed if being a famous user.
- As a second account to complete multiplayer challenges with the owner (usually done on 2 separate computers)
- As a group account, though technically not allowed by ROBLOX rules, to house a group place or group information.
- For spam alts which are alts with inappropriate usernames that don't get used much.
- To make an inappropriate game and then get its alternative banned then donate to the actual main account.
- To troll other users.
- To get another account if the user forgot their password.
- Extra account if main is stolen or hacked.
- To show a free ROBUX/BC scam without being banned.
- To exploit without getting their main account banned. This can backfire if they get IP banned, however.
- <13 users that want a 13+ account.
- To test changes to games that use data stores without deleting their own data or that of a legitimate player.
- To cyberbully on so their main account won't get banned.
"Sniped" alternate accounts
Name sniping is the action of attempting to create an account with a certain significance. Some people consider name snipes to only include one word, although this is not proven to be a requirement. Most accounts are 'sniped' for either a rare name, such as "Player", or for a certain playerID (e.g. http://www.roblox.com/User.aspx?ID=7777777). Some players try to snatch username snipes that are one word but very long.
There is, in fact, a group for name sniped accounts, so you can see examples here.
Examples of username snipes
Examples of playerID snipes
- OneRaven (ID=99) /
- killla77 (ID=311)
- inuysha93 (ID=360)
- steel s11 (ID=411)
- ZMAN (ID=420)
- jdogie (ID=666)
- gaaralover96 (ID=777)
- lego_boy (ID=911)
- breeks (ID=1515)
- Bjordana495 (ID=9001)
- SantaClause (ID=9999)
- peters328 (ID=20000)
- miked2 (ID=12345)
- crazychris (ID=54321)
- 2COOLFORU (ID=1000000)
- 0x000A (ID=123456789)
- jellybean517 (ID=10203040)
- GrungeResurrected (ID=22222222)
Users will target unique usernames and unique userIDs. For this reason, user creation picks up around significant userID benchmarks.