Prior to an update in late 2012, players used to be able to click on a solid area and a green dot will appear where the player clicked while not wielding a tool, so it notifies the player where he/she will move. This has been removed, so in some Obstacle Courses, which are colloquially called Obbies in ROBLOX, it is virtually impossible for many players to overcome the "Invisible Path" obstacle, as it relies on said control. However, this change is useful for when the player should not move away when the character is not holding any tool, such as when talking to an NPC via Dialog.
VehiclesEditOn ROBLOX, players can drive various vehicles, such as a car, airplane, and boat. Most vehicles follow a standard control format so that players will not have to constantly learn how to drive new vehicles, such formats are displayed below:
- Automobiles: Car/Train: Cars and trains can usually be controlled in the same way as the player walk: by using WASD or Arrow Keys. Older cars (cars from 2006-2009) can only be controlled by a specifically scripted "drive" tool. To use the drive tool, the "drive" tool must first be equipped. Then, the player should press Y to start the engine. Moving the mouse around while holding the click button down causes the vehicle to turn in the direction of the mouse. While moving, if such a feature is available, the speed can be adjusted by the player by pressing a button, commonly Q or E. Certain cars are also equipped with weapons, such as fully automatic machine guns and rocket launchers. Generally, the key to activate the weapon is F. To stop the engine, press X.
- Flyable: Plane: Planes can only be controlled by a tool, and use controls similar to the ones used to control older cars, except now it must be taken into account that the vehicle is in flight. Y is used to start the engine, if a feature to adjust the speed is available, the keys used are normally Q or E, and X is used to stop the engine; if the plane has weapons, they can usually be fired with the F key; G can also sometimes be pressed to perform a barrel roll; T can be used to turn the plane 180 degrees on all axis; and the plane may have additional controls to adjust banking (usually the I, O, P, K, and/or L keys.)
- Floatable Machine: Boat: Boats can usually be controlled via the standard WASD format or via the use of a tool (using the standard format for the 2006-2009 cars.)
- In some flying or driving tools, the controls are significantly changed and if the tool is selected, a GUI may appear, which can show information regarding the vehicle's controls, speed, and/or remaining health of the vehicle before it breaks down.
- Some flying/driving tools can be given to the player when the player sits in the pilot/driver seat.
- Before 2009, it was possible to control models which have been built in a way supported by the control feature. However, the control feature was removed during the square stud update, and has not surfaced since.