Free users are players on Roblox that do not have Builders Club or Robux. The majority of users on Roblox are playing for free. Among most Roblox users, these users are known as "NBC" (Non-Builders Club). Because of the lack of an official icon for NBC, some users create unofficial ones.
The free user is severely limited on privileges. The following are restrictions in place:
- Unable to create shirts and pants
- Unable to sell clothing
- Unable to buy certain things or items in the catalog
- Unable to use "BC Beta Features"
- Unable to use the Trade System.
- Unable to create groups, and can only join up to 5 groups (if a BC player joins more than 5 groups and their BC expires, they will still be able to stay in those groups but cannot join any more).
- The requirement to watch outside ads in the website and a commercial before playing a game. (This does not happen on IOS or Android.)
- No daily login reward
- 90% tax when selling items
- Unable to Receive Robux without getting Builders Club since Tix were removed.
Despite these limitations, there is still much a Free User can enjoy on Roblox.
- Many free accounts are Alternate Accounts. These accounts are often created to allow a person to have multiple places active without purchasing a Builders Club membership.
- As of September 2017, Nightgaladeld announced on devforum.roblox that all users are given 200 free active game limit.
Before the change of more active game limit:
- Non-Builder's Club members could have before 1 active game, unless they previously had a membership, now which case they could keep up to 200 active games, but 5 active when ending membership.
- Builder's Club members could have up to 10 active games
- Turbo Builder's Club members could have up to 25 active games
- Outrageous Builder's Club members could have up to 100 active games
- Link to Forum : Forum announcement on active game limit change
- Main article: Criticism of ROBLOX
Many people have criticized free accounts for having "unfair" and "degrading" benefits compared to those with Builders Club. This includes no daily Robux, BC-Only features such as hats and places (which pressure some to purchase Builders Club) and other limitations.
However, an argument can be made that Builders Club features are necessary to bring in new customers, and that without Builders Club members, Roblox would have little to no income. It has also been pointed out that it doesn't change anything in-game besides a special image next to your name on the scoreboard.