If a player joins a game but does not register or sign in, they are labeled as a guest by default. The guest's avatar is a placeholder for players interested in a game and want to play it before creating an account. The placeholders are BillyBloxxer, BettyBloxxer and DefaultGuest.
BillyBloxxer, BettyBloxxer and DefaultGuest are the ROBLOX guest templates. Joining in-game as a guest will load one of their character appearances, unless the developer of the game uses a Script to change this.
Before July 12, 2016, BillyBloxxer and BettyBloxxer had very similar appearances to the user ROBLOX. Their only difference is that Billy Bloxxer wore the Red Roblox Cap, while BettyBloxxer wore the Pinktastic Hair. The DefaultGuest doesn't have hats; merely a shirt and a gray torso.
On July 12, 2016, the appearances of the guests were changed for the first time. The male guest (BillyBloxxer) now wears the ROBLOX Jacket, the Black Jeans, and the True Blue Hair. The female guest is the same except with the Lavender Updo Hair, which looks similar to the Chestnut Bun, but a different colour. The other male guest (DefaultGuest) is still the same except he wears the ROBLOX Jacket and The Black Jeans.
On September 29, 2016, guests were changed to the R15 body.
Praise and criticism
There are groups made by users that praise guests (example, example), and some (like Euan Bomber And Dallasthepip's No Guests Clan) are against them. Some guests are sympathized as they are viewed negatively throughout most of the ROBLOX community. Some users believe that other players use the guest feature to scam or ruin other players places, commonly known as trolling or grieving, and use the guest utility to bypass bans because guests cannot be banned from the game, which is sometimes true. Other users praise guests, supporting and helping guests in hopes of welcoming them to the community that is ROBLOX.
As many guests are users unaware of the "unofficial rules" of ROBLOX, they tend to act in a way that is considered annoying by some users. This explains the reason why many guests perform actions considered rude in many games, such as spawn killing, killing their own team members, and destroying other user's creations in free building games.
Also, guests cannot say anything themselves, as the chat feature cannot be used while playing as a guest. In the past, guests could not see any chat by players with accounts, with the exception of speech bubble chat (which has been removed). They can now see chats made by players in-game. Some players call guests "lazy" for not creating an account, as guests are still required to install the required software in order to play any games. Administrators have stated that guests will never be removed from ROBLOX, despite many people who dislike guests want them removed.
Some players who have accounts choose to be guests in order to troll others. Furthermore, guests are unable to be banned, which is why players troll as guests. Due to this, hate further increases towards these players.
With the addition of new updates, both new users and guests can pick a gender for their character. Users can choose the male guest, which wears the ROBLOX Jacket, the Black Jeans, and the True Blue Hair. Users can also choose to be the female guest, which is the same as the male guest except it wears the Lavender Updo Hair. If playing without choosing your gender or playing on mobile, users will be loaded as a genderless guest (DefaultGuest).
- Guests are known as "The True Testers of ROBLOX" by the administrators.
- DefaultGuest came on ROBLOX around December 2012 and January 2013.
- There was a guest talk script in some games, which allowed guests to chat. The script is currently broken. If the game had a guest talk script during that time, this could be unfair as well.
- From 2008 to 2014, guests were able to speak by using the proper Super Safe Chat words. Now, they can't as that feature has been removed, and they have to create an account to chat. Around the end of 2014, guests were reported to chat normally, which was since patched.
- For a short time, an update was released that introduced a bug in which a user does not receive a knockout point for killing a guest, unlike the normal addition of one point for every player defeated.
- When you open the menu and look for a guest, they will have ROBLOX's avatar look, boy or girl, but in the game, they still look like the current guests. Guests were also able to join Builders Club games. Now, guests are not linked to the ROBLOX account and are linked to BillyBloxxer, BettyBloxxer and DefaultGuest.
- Many users create fake guest accounts (example: Guest123, Guest_8164, Guest10475, etc) and dress like guests. However, many people can identify if they are a guest or not, because users cannot leave spaces in their username. They can also be recognised since guest names do not have underscores and all guests have 1–4 digits in their username.
- Guests cannot buy items from the catalog.
- Guests used to wear one hat as a male, and the Pinktastic Hair for a female.
- Guests used to wear a straw hat like erik.cassel did on ROBLOX.
- When you hover the mouse over a guest image when viewing game servers, the name will appear as "A Friendly Guest".
- Cookie editors are able to change a guest number by changing the UserID in Guest Data. People may do this for attention, or trolling.
- ROBLOX's user used to look exactly like a male guest, but without a hat.
- When a guest checks their account age, it says their age is 0 unless the guest is online for at least a day.
- ROBLOX stores a cookie on the user's computer that keeps their ID, meaning that ROBLOX does not have to create so many IDs. You are able to change the ID and make the cookie read-only, so when you join the game you can be any number you want. (Guest 1337, Guest 0, etc.)
- A guest cannot access purchasable content in-game, as they are assigned a randomly generated ID.
- It is possible for scripts to ban all guests from a game. However, this violates the terms and conditions, because it makes some guests believe that ROBLOX is a bugged game.
- In Dued1's Work at a Pizza Place, guests are identical to the ones that can be seen in the gender choosing menu. It also has 9 different chats to choose from.
- When playing a guest in the mobile version, the guest's appearance will load DefaultGuest's appearance.
- A bug that occurred on February 2016 let guests send friend requests to users and vice versa. This was patched around March or April.
- In some games with custom chats (example), guests are able to chat.
- It is possible to join a game as DefaultGuest by following a player into a game whilst not being logged in.
- Guests cannot earn ROBUX (or formerly tickets).
- When guests play games that save data (like money), they will lose all their data when they leave.
- In Seranok's Catalog Heaven, guests are given access to the full ROBLOX catalog. Also, when a guest bloxxes you, the user ROBLOX's avatar image shows up on the bloxxed ScreenGui you screen on the bottom.