Lag is an occurence in many games which the player's computer slows down, or when their computer reacts or pings slower than the server. It can be described as "a failure to keep up". Lag can be very devastating for some players, and there are varying degrees, from slight jerkiness (mild lag) to total process freezing (extreme lag). Lag can occur from various things such as too many projectiles firing from a weapon or too many bricks present in a server.
There is a variety amount of kinds of lag types.
Kinds of LagEdit
- Brick Lag - This usually occurs when there are 10,000 bricks or more present in a server.
- Computer Lag - Sometimes if there are some problems with the player's computer, it may cause it to lag. This can also occur if programs other than ROBLOX are using too much of the computer's scarce resources. Closing any other programs on the computer can help avoid this problem.
- Entry Lag - One of the most common types of lag, it occurs just as the player enters a server.
- Internet Lag - This type of lag occurs when the player has a slow internet connection speed.
- Server Lag - This is when the player's computer and/or internet is functioning properly, but the server is lagging severely, these actions that occur on the server are delayed and every other player present appears to freeze up, except for the player themself (this is because the client itself isn't lagging). This is less common, and the only way to stop it is for the player to quit the game, and return to the server.
- Excessive Lag - This is a rare kind of lag and could occur when the computer and internet is slow/weak, and the server is lagging at the same time. Lost connections or Hardware Failures/Game Crashes are most likely to occur during this, due to the combined risks.
- Tool Lag - This lag occurs when a player has too many tools that load. This especially is more likely to occur when a player has too many gears (like over 275 gears) in a gear game. It will only happen if the player joins, resets, or gets KO'ed. Its basically due to multiple scripts running at once.
- Player Lag - This lag occurs if other players are not functioning properly.
- Lag Compensation - In fighting themed games, people who have lesser internet connections will kill you after they are dead. This also happens in games such as MW3, but the one in ROBLOX is even worse than that of MW3.
- Clothing/Body Color Lag - For a short time, your character shows up as the default character in settings known as "Character.rbxm". Some players refer to this character as "Noob". It has the old default "R" T-Shirt, a yellow head and arms, a blue torso, and greenish legs. Although rare, this lag may stay present for a few minutes. It has no effect on gameplay except it usually happens during a server update or shutdown of ROBLOX's website. Other cases include meshless gray figures with hinges all over their bodies.
- Lag can be rather annoying to many players and can occur in many place servers.
- Lag is one of the things that are complained about by many players the most on Roblox.
- Contrary to popular belief, meshes do not create lag. However, decals do create lag, as proven in this place.
- Back in 2007 or 2008, when the server is lagging, actions that occur on the server are delayed and every other player present appears to freeze including you.
Ways to avoid lagEdit
- Reducing Amount of Bricks: A great way to prevent lag in a place is to reduce the server brick count so that the total amount of bricks is less than 10,000.
- Anti Lag Scripts: There are so called "Anti-lag" scripts in ROBLOX, but most of them will either work as viruses (used to ruin your game) or are completely useless. There are some that may reduce lag a bit by removing connections between static objects, but using most of these scripts won't reduce lag, and you're more likely to experience the opposite.