A place is the ROBLOXian term to describe a game that has been created by a player and posted to ROBLOX and is one of the core components that make up ROBLOX. Places were released in June 2006 by Telamon.
All public places can be accessed via the "Games" tab on the main page of ROBLOX and can be filtered via tweaking the different filter options (listed below):
- Top Earning
- Top Rated
- Top Favorite
- My Recent
- My Favorite
- Friend Activity
- Top Paid
- Builder's Club
- Popular in VR
- Town and City
A Skate Park genre had existed for a certain amount of time due to the massive increase in skate-park places during the DisneyXD-sponsored Skate-park Contest. However, after the contest, the amount of skate-park places fell dramatically, and, as such the Skate Park genre is now hidden but still can be accessed by going to https://www.roblox.com/games?SortFilter=default&TimeFilter=0&GenreFilter=18, but since the removal of genres on the games page, it will not sort the games page for the genre you selected.
Making a place
Creating a Place
In order to create a place, go to the "Develop" page on the ROBLOX website (this requires that you be logged in). This page houses a list displaying all the places and items you currently own (these are in separate sections, which can be browsed through via the list menu on the left) but also allows you to create new places and items (players that do not have a Builder's Club membership may only create T-Shirts, Places, Decals, and Models). To create a place, click on the "Create New Place" button and select a template.
Editing the Place
To edit the place itself, first make it public by clicking on the power symbol under its name which should say "Private"; this will allow players to access it publicly. Then, click on the "Edit" button. A new window will open with your place in it. You are now in Roblox Studio. If you are new to Roblox Studio, there will be simple tutorials on how to move around the site.
All users may have a maximum of 200 places active at one time as of September 27, 2016 (as announced on the developer forums). Note that you are only able to have a certain amount of places active at the same time.
Accessing the Advanced Building GUI
The advanced building GUI, or most known as Roblox Studio, grants greater versatility to the user and can be used to make better creations, though it takes more practice to use effectively. To open up the advanced building GUI on your desktop, use the ROBLOX Studio application instead of using your browser to launch the place.
Configuring the Place
To configure a place, simply select the gear icon on the right side of your place's entry, then select "Configure Place" from the drop-down box. Configuring a place allows you to:
- Change the place's name
- Change the place's icon
- Change the place's thumbnail image/video. Images are free and videos are 500 ROBUX.
- Choose whether or not game access is sold
- Change the place's description
- Change the place type (Game Places are places that cannot be changed by players playing within their public servers; Personal Servers are places that can be modified by players playing within their public servers).
- Change the amount of players allowed on one server. The maximum amount of players is 50. (Originally, only MEGA places could hold 50 players and the max for non-MEGA games was 20.)
- Change place access privileges
- Change the place's copy-lock protection (Disabling this allows people to copy your place and edit it for their own needs.)
- Turn place comments on/off
- Choose what gear can be added to your game and displayed on your game page (Only Gear from the official ROBLOX Catalog is allowed for this feature; you will net a small percentage of the money players pay to buy gear from your game page.)
- Change the game's chat settings (Bubble, Classic, or Both)
- Change the game's genre (as seen by the public)
- Change the types of gear allowed and whether gear of all genres are allowed, or just gear of the place's genre
- Reset the place to a starting template
- Revert the place to a previous version
By default, a place is created in Experimental Mode, which indicates that FilteringEnabled is not on. Places active and in Experimental Mode may not be searched by accounts with an age under 13, however they can still play the game, just not search for it. A bypass to this can be using a search engine to find the place.
The user can choose to start building on one of 16 starting templates: * Indicates that the template includes instructions and hints for designing the game
- "Baseplate", consisting of a large gray plastic block to serve as the ground
- "Flat Terrain", consisting of a large empty stretch of flat Terrain.
- "Village" *, consisting of a small medieval village surrounded by rivers and a lake
- "Castle" *, consisting of a large castle surrounded by hills and mountains
- "Suburban", consisting of a small suburban town, complete with streets, 3 houses (2 are empty), a gas station, and a school
- "Racing", consisting of 4 drivable cars and a landscape-decorated race course
- "Pirate Island" *, consisting of an ocean, 4 tropical islands, and a pirate ship
- "Western", consisting of a small Old Western town and a long railroad track located in a desert and woodland
- "City", consisting of streets and 4 urban buildings
- "Obby", consisting of a very simple obby
- "Starting Place" *, consisting of a cabin and a yard incomplete for sake of building surrounded by hills and mountains
- "Line Runner", consisting of several platforms with obstacles; plays as a linear 2.5D endless runner
- "Infinite Runner", consisting of several platforms with obstacles, plays as a 3D Temple-Run-style endless runner
- "Capture the Flag", consisting of two competing camps (one red, one blue) separated by a river, plays as a round-based "Capture the Flag" PvP game
- "Team/FFA Area", consisting of a military camp next to a cargo yard and a forest, plays as a round-based PvP game
- "Combat", consisting of an empty flat desert with 2 weapons givers and a healing kit giver
- "Volcanic Island" (exclusive to Roblox Creator Challenge), consisting of Isla Nublar in-midst of a volcanic explosion, themed after Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
All templates can be viewed on this profile.
- These were the old Templates:
- "A Happy Home in Robloxia", consisting of a stamper-made house along with terrain, which received strong criticism.
- "Starting Brick Battle", consisting of 2 opposing walled towers, two different teams and a base plate. Players get all of the standard Roblox fighting tools.
- "Baseplate", consisting of a large stretch of Terrain.
- Personal Server Starting Place.