Roblox (originally stylized as ROBLOX) is a massively multiplayer online social game platform, where players are able to create and publish their own virtual worlds using building tools and Lua. Players can earn or purchase Robux, which can be cashed into real-world money if earned from developing games or clothing items. There are over 29 million games and approximately 56 million active/1.1 million peak concurrent players playing a total of 496 million hours each month.
Since the official release of Roblox in 2006, this site has been growing faster gradually. As of August 20, 2018, 725 million accounts have been created. According to David Baszucki, the founder and CEO of Roblox, the game had about 9 million monthly active users in February 2016 (not including guests and visitors).
- Main article: Timeline of Roblox history
From December 2003 to January 2004, the platform was known as Dynablocks. This name would then be changed to ROBLOX on January 30, 2004. Alpha testing ended in February 2005, after which the platform went into beta testing. In April 2006, ROBLOX was fully released to everyone with multiplayer games, and would gradually receive new updates and features over the years to shape it into what the platform is today.
Roblox is available on Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Xbox One and on the Windows Store. People interested in getting more involved with Roblox can make an account, but they could also play as a guest. Users choose their own username and password, and can then create their own places. Users also have their own character, which can be customized via catalog purchases, and they can participate in social aspects of Roblox such as the forum, messages and friend requests.
- Main article: Place
Places are where players play games on Roblox. Players can create an unlimited amount of places, but active places are limited to 200 places regardless of membership.
Before September 27, 2017, the number of active places a player can have was based on one's Builders Club membership:
- Free users - 1 active place
- Former BC (players whose BC membership has expired) - 5 active places
- BC - 10 active places
- TBC - 25 active places
- OBC - 100 active places
Roblox provides templates for users which don't know how to start.
- Main article: Catalog
Roblox's Catalog is a place where users can buy items to customize their character. Roblox doesn't give a daily Robux reward to free users, as it did with tickets (Builders Club members get it) and doesn't provide clothing creators a way to sell their clothing for free.
Similar to the catalog, the library is used by users and developers to release models, scripts, audio, decals, meshes and plugins to other Roblox users. All items in the library that are available for purchase are free, and any user may take items to place in their inventory. You can have unlimited items from the library, and some groups place their models in the library to make it easier for them to be used in multiple games.
- Main article: Blogs
Roblox runs a blog, where they post about released updates and show developers creations.
- Main article: Group
There are many groups on Roblox. All users can join them, but only Builders Club members can create them (for 100 Robux). The amount of groups a user can join is based on one's membership:
- Free users - Can be part of 5 groups
- BC - Can be part of 10 groups
- TBC - Can be part of 20 groups
- OBC - Can be part of 100 groups
My Feed shows what friends posted by "What are you up to?" box.
- If you type in "Dynablocks.com" or "Gooblox.com" into the Omnibox of your search engine, you will be redirected to the Roblox home page. "Dynablocks" was the name of Roblox before it was named its current name, Roblox. "Gooblox" was an April Fools joke by John Shedletsky.
- On the Roblox Blog, he created a blog post on April 1st, 2007, saying that Roblox had been sold to Google for $380 Million.
- On September 27, 2018, Roblox's favicon was changed from red to gray. It is speculated that this was to avoid confusion with YouTube's favicon, which is also red.