Copying on ROBLOX
These days there are millions of players playing ROBLOX and some have an intent for developing games on ROBLOX and some of these developers have no clue about what's copying or copyright infringement. Copying is the act of fully cloning something like a file meanwhile some get confused with inspiration.
False copying accusations
Like what was mentioned earlier, people will get confused between copying and inspiration but the happens on the Internet a lot and so many people use it so it's no surprise that people will get confused. Many games get accused of copying when they didn't copy.
Trademark Infringement on ROBLOX
Trademark Infringement is similar to copyright infringement but on logos and names. It's basically the use of a trademarked design for a logo that you don't have the rights to use. Some people on ROBLOX will make groups with similar logo designs and names to real-life companies in a way that can confuse lots of people.
Trademark infringement on ROBLOX is most commonly found in groups such as Electronic Publishers which uses Electronic Arts' logo design and some people may find it confusing.
Copyright Infringement on ROBLOX
Copyright infringement is the use of works protected by copyright law without permission, infringing certain exclusive rights granted to the copyright holder, such as the right to reproduce, distribute, display or perform the protected work, or to make derivative works. Since ROBLOX is a platform that anyone can create anything on, some will upload and make illegal and infringing content on ROBLOX.
Since ROBLOX is a build-to-create website where anyone can create anything, some people will create games on ROBLOX that use the copyrighted material such as games and audio. Some examples of games using copyrighted material on ROBLOX are the following:
Since such fan games usually fall under fair use (see Fair Use doctrine section below), they are usually not dealt with. However, there have been cases of games being taken down by copyright infringement or being forced to rebrand the game to something non-copyrighted, usually if the game makes revenue. A notable case would be the Content Deletion of Pokemon Brick Bronze.
taymaster and Pokemon Fangames on ROBLOX
On October 16, 2016, taymaster tweeted a picture of what looks to be him sending a Copyright Infringement notice to Nintendo about the most popular "Roblox Pokemon Games" and how ROBLOX is doing nothing about it but Nintendo has still not replied to that email.
Super Mario and Nintendo Fangames on ROBLOX
On August 14, 2018, ROBLOX has been taking down some fangames containing content from the popular video game company Nintendo, for an example Paper Mario Roleplay by Dogon, mostly Nintendo-related roleplaying games has been put into Content Deletion, many people thought it was part of the Phantom Forces deletion which took part on the same day, however, the Paper Mario Roleplay developers has since clarified that the creator of the game Dogon was given a warning from the ROBLOX Moderation for Copyright Infringement. Not only Mario-based fangames were put into Content Deletion by ROBLOX, a fangame based on the Super Smash Bros. series has been taken down as well.
The ROBLOX audio section of the library has a lot of copyright infringement by looking at it; when you play a game on ROBLOX, people will play copyrighted audio. Back in 2013 when the "Audio" feature was first introduced, users only had 15 seconds of audio. Only tidbits of copyrighted audio was uploaded until not long ago in later 2016 when the length was increased to 6 minutes or 10 megabytes. This gave users the opportunity to upload full copyrighted audio material with little penalty.
On May 31, 2018, it was announced that starting on June 18, an automated system would be launched and then flag any copyrighted music detected. Reactions were mixed; some were happy that copyright infringing material would be taken down, while some were disappointed that they could no longer use their favorite songs.
Fair Use doctrine
Fair Use is an America-exclusive doctrine which allows people to use copyrighted content without permission, under limited use. This includes derivative works, parodies, criticism, and education. Under Fair Use, using copyrighted content on Roblox has been made possible and lawful.
- Some believe that taymaster made that email and tweet to combat the "HeavenLogin - Berreza" Drama since taymaster labeled also said, "ROBLOX Pokémon GO will soon be gone." in his tweet.
- Even though many people retweeted that taymaster is putting Pokemon Brick Bronze at the risk of deletion, taymaster didn't show Pokemon Brick Bronze in the picture of the email he tweeted.
- It's pretty obvious that Nintendo and/or ROBLOX hasn't seen it since nothing has been done to the Pokemon fangames mentioned in the email.
- People will sometimes protect these copyright infringement games.
- Back in late 2016, there was an image of a copyright infringement notice from Nintendo. However, one of the mods confirmed that the notice is fake.
- Pokemon Brick Bronze was taken down on April 18, 2018. Lando, the game's director, confirmed the takedown 3 days after, saying the request was from The Pokèmon Company. After Brick Bronze's takedown announcement, there are speculations that other Pokemon games are soon to follow.(UPDATE: Many famous pokemon games have now been claimed, including Pokemon Fighters EX and Pokemon Advanced)